I present you :
“Poor Mans Cake drizzled with ooziness and goodness of Caramel Sauce.” Yes, this indulgent homemade cake recipe is the perfect solution to your sugar cravings. I mean look at this beauty!
Isn’t that picture perfect ? And to top it off, it tastes amazing. One taste of it will leave you wanting more, it’s wonderfully addicting!
But you know the most wonderful thing about this cake ?
It is so dam easy to prepare and needs very few ingredients. This poor mans cake (also called as “War Cake” or “Depression Cake”) would certainly make it to your top goto cakes .
Wait What – War Cake/Depression Cake ? Are you kidding me !
Ok, No need to panic !
There is an interesting story behind this. Hence in this post I going to share that story and the recipe that bakes up moist, fluffy and full of flavors. So lets begin.
Thank You Amsterdam For Introducing Me To Poor Mans Cake
Few months back, we were in Amsterdam for our vacation. We were roaming through the Utrechtsestraat street rather aimlessly.
That’s when I came across a small little pastry shop that had a signboard on its window which read ” Coffee & Poor Mans Cake for 3.50€ “. I was immediately drawn towards it.
Not because of price but because of the word “Poor”.
What do they even mean by that ? Was it directed towards my hubby because every-time I ask him to go shopping with me, he conveniently – in a sarcastic tone says “We are poor”.
Anyways,I decided to find out. I went in and ordered the 3.50€ euro delight.
It was a great slice of cake. It was warm , moist and fluffy. We throughly enjoyed it. But my question was still unanswered !
I tried to get all chatty with the pastry shopkeeper but he really dint have answers to my questions.
So I decided to fallback on my best friend -“Google”. This is what it told me:
“This Poor Mans cake dates back to World War 1. Yes ! Its that old and hence a Vintage Recipe in its own terms. During those days, due to rationing, there were only limited available ingredients. Plus not everybody could afford the luxury of fancy fruit cakes. So instead they created something magical out of simple ingredients they had. That’s how they Came up wit this recipe and named it Poor Mans Cake or War Cake or Depression Cake.”
While I was enjoying the cake slice, It occurred to me that a drizzle of caramel sauce on this “old man” with some changes would certainly take me to the food heaven. And I was spot on !
RESULT – SEE THE BEAUTY AGAIN ON TOP
Few Tips for Preparing Poor Mans Cake
So I decided to give it a try as soon as I got back to my kitchen.
The first thing that I did was – take my diary and jotted down all the tips that would give me the most tender and moist poor mans cake. After my yum experience in Amsterdam pastry shop, I did not wanted a dry and crumbly cake. It produced amazing results and hence here are those pro tips:
- The classic and vintage recipe does not include eggs but I am going to add them because eggs provide structure, richness and a distinct flavor to the cake. Baking without eggs – Just not me !
- I have added Walnuts because I wanted a bite to the cake when consumed with Caramel Sauce. You would say “Walnuts hmmm – Not Poor at all”. Well you are right ! But then I am listening to my tastebuds here rather than recreating the exact World War 1 tragedy.
- I have already shared the recipe for caramel Sauce before. You can see it here – step by step.
- 1 Cup Raisins
- 2 Cups Water
- 7-8 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 3 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- ½ Tbsp Baking Powder
- ½ Tbsp Baking Soda
- Pinch of Salt
- ½ Tsp cinnamon
- ½ Tsp nutmeg
- 2 Beaten Eggs
- ½ Cup Chopped Walnuts
- 2-3 Tbsp Caramel Sauce(Recipe) - take around 20 minutes
- In a saucepan combine water, raisins and butter.Boil them over medium heat for 15 minutes. Once done remove the saucepan from the heat and let it cool for 10-15 minutes.The raisins would be nice and plump.
- While the raisin mixture is boiling, take a mixing bowl and add all purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt in it. Whisk all together nicely.
- Check your raising mixture. It would have slightly cooled down after 10-15 minutes. Now pour the raisin mixture over dry ingredients and stir it with the help of a baking spatula. (Continue to stir until you see the consistency of the mixture to paste like.)
- Add beaten eggs and mix well.
- Add chopped walnuts and stir it well. Your cake mixture is ready at this stage.
- Preheat the oven to 195 degrees C for 10 minutes.
- Grease a baking pan and add mixture in it. Bake it in a preheated oven for 30 minutes until deep brown in color. After 30 minutes just stick a toothpick into the center of your cake. If your toothpick has a wet batter on it , that means it needs more time in the oven. If it comes out clean, your cake is ready.
- While the cake is getting baked, prepare delicious caramel sauce.
- Serve slightly warm cake slices with a drizzle of caramel sauce over it. Enjoy !
This poor mans cake with caramel sauce generated lot of buzz in a recent family function. All of a sudden, my loved ones started treating me like a professional baker. Though I am starting to lean ifs and buts of baking world, I did enjoy the attention that I got because of this recipe.
If you do try this wonderful dessert , let me know by tagging the picture with #yummydiariesbypooja on Instagram!
Any feedback or suggestion do leave a comment and I will be on it right away.
Until next recipes, happy cooking and don’t forget to subscribe.