Jaisalmeri Kala Chana Recipe is a wonderful kadhi variation in which black chick peas are simmered with spices and curd. The result is a tantalizingly sour and spicy thick gravy that will make you lick your finger .
Yes, its that good !
Every time, I even come close to this aromatic recipe , I am like:
In this post, my goal is to introduce you to this traditional household Rajasthani recipe that is enjoyed across the state. I will also provide some pro tips to help you achieve the perfect finger licking good curry.
Rajasthan’s Love For Besan (Gramflour)
The one thing that I have noticed about people of Rajasthan is there undying love for besan(gram flour) based recipes.
Whether its the fiery street snack Mirchi Bada or yummy Besan Ke Gatte(Gram flour dumplings) or the vintage Bikaneri Bhujia – you can find besan recipes all over Rajasthan.
Probably, its right to say that Besan (Gram flour) is one of the most common ingredient found in a Rajasthani kitchen.
And this time when I went to my in-laws place in Udaipur, I not only decided to get into a Traditional Rajputi avatar, but I also decided to learn few authentic rajasthani besan recipes .
My mum in law who I refer as the “Rajasthani Recipes Encyclopedia ” laid down a number of besan based recipes. However there was one recipe that caught my eye .
Yes you guessed it right ! It was :
“Jaisalmeri Kala Chana”
Its a spiced kadhi variation with the goodness of Kala Chana (black chickpea). And me being a Himachali – how can I say no to black chickpea. We just love them.
Remember the authentic tangy himachali kala channa I prepared few weeks back ?
So , without wasting any further time, I saw her preparing the Jaisalmeri Kala Chana that night. I noted down the recipe and all the pro tips.
Few Tips For Preparing Jaisalmeri Kala Chana Recipe
The Jaisalmeri Kala Chana Recipe was a welcome change from the traditional kadhi. No Pakoras, No Onion – just the kala chana. It was such a delight that I forgot all the table manners and dug into this kadhi and steamed rice with my hands. Luckily nobody minded the slurp sounds I was making with every bite.
Anyways, here are few tips:
- The curd does not only provide a bit of tang but also provided that rich velvety texture. To get to that consistency fragrant spices and gramflour needs to be whisked real properly. The idea is not to leave any lumps.
- If you like your jaisalmeri kala chana curry to be more tangy, you can always use sour curd or add a bit of amchur powder while cooking.
- While cooking, ensure you stir the mixture continuously till it comes to boil into the pan for cooking – This is done to prevent the curd gravy from splitting.
- Ensure you soak the black chickpea overnight (8 to 9 hours ). This will ensure that tough skin on these chana is loosened.
- 1 Cup Yogurt
- 3 Tbsp Gram Flour
- 1 Tbsp Red Chilli Powder
- ½ Tbsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ Tbsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 Tbsp Coriander Powder
- ¾ Tbsp Garam Masala
- 1 Tbsp Cumin Powder
- 2 Tbsp Ghee
- 1 Tbsp Cumin
- ¼ Tbsp Asafetida
- 1 Cup Black Chana
- 1 Cup Boiled Black Chana water
- Salt to taste
- Take Dry Black Chana and wash them under running cold water.
- Add 1 cup of dry chana to 3 cups of water and soak them overnight.
- Next day, Place the soaked Black Chana in a pressure cooker.
- Add 2 Cups of water and salt to the pressure cooker.
- Cover the lid and pressure cook it until your hear two to three whistles (on high heat).
- Reduce the flame and pressure cook it till you hear the fourth whistle. Keep it aside to cool down.(Note: Do not throw away the water, we will use it later)
- At this point, the black chana would have cooked all the way through and ready to be incorporated in our Jaisalmeri Kala Chana Curry.
- Take a mixing bowl and add curd, gram flour, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala, cumin powder. Whisk everything well and make sure there are no lumps in the mixture. Keep it aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add cumin, mustard seeds to it. Let them splutter.
- Now add asafetida and mix it well.
- Add curd, spices & gram flour mixture to the pan. Cook it for 2 minute on medium flame, while stirring continuously.
- Add a cup of boiled kala chana water and cook it on medium high flame for 6-7 minute ,keep stirring in between.
- Now take 4 tablespoon of boiled kala chana in a bowl and mashed them up nicely. Add the mashed chickpeas in the boiling mixture. It will not only help thicken the curry but will also infuse the rustic flavor of kala chana into the spiced curd gravy.
- Add rest of the kala chana and cook it for 2 more minute. You wonderful Jaisalmeri kala chana is ready to serve.
Serve this velvety curry with rice , hot phulkas and you are golden ! Infect at my in laws place, they love the jaisalmeri kala chana recipe with Missi ki roti. I hope you give it a try.
If you have any feedback or know any other similar Rajasthani traditional recipes, do let us know by leaving a comment below.
Also if you decide to give this recipe a try , share with our community by tagging the picture with #yummydiariesbypooja on Instagram!
Until next yummy recipe, happy cooking !