Before I give you this awesome recipe on healthy chickpea salad, let me ask you few questions:
- Are you stuck in a salad rut ?
- Are you tired of eating the same old bowl of greens ?
- Do you need something tasty ?
- Do you need a salad recipe for weight loss ?
If your answer is yes, then you have come to the right place.
This healthy chickpea salad recipe with tangy tamarind dressing will not only surprise your tastebuds but will also fill you up with fiber and proteins & help you in achieving your overall fitness goals.
Healthy Chickpea Salad – A Therapy For Mums Delicious Food
You must be wondering how can a healthy chickpea salad be a therapy for mum delicious food ?
Well let me tell you – its been 27 days to be exact! of eating delicious but unhealthy food like Jalebhi, Kachoris, Rich Indian Curries and breads loaded with Ghee. You must have guessed it by now, these are not food delights but my mums way of saying how much she missed me. Yes, I took a long vacation and visited my parents as my brother was getting married. It also provided the much needed break for my hubby Kunal from me .
But now I am back to Bangalore and need some quick therapy to wear off few extra pounds that I had gained in these last 27 days. Hence I decided to take up salads for dinner until I see some improvements in me.
You would agree with me that it is difficult to make that transition. I mean how would you feel if on one day : you get to eat delicious sweet and savory Himachali delicacies and. on the next day: you are given a small bowl of green vegetables. No comparison right ! I wanted something that is healthy but can also fill up my tummy and maintain the expectation of my sensitive taste buds.
And then it struck me!
The only healthy substitute that would manage such kind of expectation would be a Healthy Chickpea Salad. I have been reading lot of Nutritional related books recently and chickpea seems to be a favorite topic in all those books.
Some benefits that you derive out chickpeas are:
- Calories is the first thing that you look especially when you you’re trying to lose weight. One-half cup of cooked chickpeas has only about 130 calories which is great.
- Chickpea is great as it supports weight loss by making you feel full.
- One-half cup of cooked chickpeas has no fat yet it provides protein and complex carbs which is good for your health.
There are tons of other benefits of eating chickpeas. Hence ensure you include them in your diet.
I also decided to have Tamarind dressing for this chickpea salad as I needed something sweet and sour, however if you want a spicy dressing you could also use classic Mint & Coriander Chutney.
Tips For Preparing This Healthy Chickpea Salad
- Try to avoid canned chickpeas because the texture is bit funny plus they aren’t as nutritious and may come with some unwanted chemical exposure. I suggest you use dried ones and then soak them overnight to use it.
- Dress your healthy chickpea salad , Don’t Sauce it. As you can see I have used tamarind dressing just enough to brighten up it flavor while still letting the natural flavor of chickpea and grated carrot to be the hero. Hence its important that you do not use the dressing like a sauce. Remember its a salad not pasta.
- Use your (clean) hands for the mixing process. Lift the chickpeas and other veggies form the bottom and let them gently run through your fingers as you spread the tamarind dressing around. Believe me those salad spoons and forks are not gentle enough to handle your delicious and healthy chickpea salad.
Ok , Recipe Time
- 1.5 cup Boiled Chickpea
- 1 Medium size onion,chopped
- 1 Carrot,grated
- 2 Tbsp tamarind paste
- 2 Green chillies.chopped
- ½ Tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1 Handful fresh coriander,chopped
- Salt to taste
- Take a mixing bowl and add chickpea, onion, grated carrot and green chillies.
- Now add salt & cayenne pepper.
- Add tamarind paste and mix everything well.
- Garnish it with coriander and serve.
Do try this healthy chickpea salad which is super healthy and delicious. I am on my way to a be a fitter Pooja. I hope you also benefit from this.
If you have any feedback or suggestion, do leave a comment. For more healthy salad recipes, do subscribe to our blog.
Until next salad, happy cooking.