I asked my hubby what comes to his mind when I say caramel sauce ?
The answer that I got was:
“Ohhh Caramel Sauce ! Its the oozy lick factor of Big & Bold desserts!”
Yes, he could be quite dramatic when it comes to food but in this case he was spot on. Like him Homemade Caramel Sauce for me is the most delicious mood-lifting sauce that I have ever tasted & created.
Don’t Believe me ? Try the below :
- Stir Caramel Sauce into a coffee and it is sure to make you all warm and fuzzy. Believe me caramel sauce in a coffee is the epitome of a cozy morning drink.
- Drizzle it gently over cookies, ice creams, waffles or cakes (especially on my favorite – Poor Man’s cake) and it is sure to make your normal day all Christmassy.
And the best part is that it is super easy and quick to make. Within 20 minutes you will be drizzling this divine sauce all over the things. It will be like master at work.
Our only job should be to give the right texture and taste to this awesome caramel sauce. And It’s not at all difficult.
There is just one golden rule that you must follow and that is:
“Do not overcomplicate things. This is an extremely easy recipe. Let it stay that way.”
Yes that’s true.
I have seen people messing it up (including me) by following all kind of fancy recipes. I mean they use corn syrup, brown sugar and a whole lot of other things but believe me they are not the worth. You don’t really need all these stuff.
So here it is:
To prepare the most awesome caramel recipe , all you need is:
Is that so? –
Yes, that’s it.
Ok without wasting any further time, let me give you the pro tips & recipe.
Pro Tips For Preparing The Perfect Caramel Sauce
- Use cream instead of butter. Cream is far more superior than butter when it comes to lactose – sugar responsible for that perfect brown, toasty and nutty flavor. Hence always use cream.
- Preparing Caramel Sauce is all about playing in extreme heat or what I like to call as the “Bubbling Effect”. Hence the choice of pan becomes extremely important. I like to use stainless steel pan however if you are using a nonstick black frying pan – the cooking time will vary as different materials conduct heat at different rates. Hence don’t just rely on the time mentioned in various recipes. Use your best judgement here. Ask yourself what consistency you need: a) Amber Hue Color Syrup – Perfect For Desserts where you need Caramel Topping but do not want to overpower it. OR b) Dark Reddish Thick Color Syrup – Perfect for Those desserts where you need a rich caramel flavor.
- Do not use Brown Sugar. The popular belief is that the brown color in the caramel sauce comes from heating Brown Sugar. That’s completely wrong. In fact, using brown sugar can worsen your sweet delight. The idea is to break down normal sugar until its nicely caramelized. You try to do with brown sugar and it will burn leaving a horrible and bitter taste.
Ok lets give you the recipe.
- 1¼ cups of Sugar
- ½ cup Cold Water
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Tbsp Lemon Juice
- ½ Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, salt, cold water (to evenly distribute the sugar crystals) & lemon juice (to prevent your caramel from crystallizing). Bring the mixture to a boil over medium high heat. This is done to dissolve the sugar.
- Once the sugar starts to dissolve you will see pale yellow color forming in the mixture. For 1 cup of sugar it will take about 8-12 minutes(depending on the saucepan material) for pale yellow color to appear at the edges. At this point gently swirl the saucepan to evenly distribute the color.
- Next step is to pay close attention to your sauce. It will quickly change color and can go undercooked to overcooked within a few seconds. The moment you see medium amber color forming in the sauce pan, reduce the heat to medium & stir in the heavy cream. Note : You will notice that mixture will bubble up and spatter hence add cream slowly and be careful. Stir constantly with a heat-resistant spatula.
- Once done transfer the caramel sauce into a container and stir in vanilla extract. Your perfect caramel sauce is ready.
You can transfer the sauce to a glass jar and keep it in fridge in airtight jar. It can easily survive for 1 month.
I love caramel sauce to the core. Infect this is the go to item when my cousins kids visit me . All I do is drizzle some of this delight over scoops of vanilla ice cream and I transform into their favorite aunt.
I hope you would have liked this recipe.
If you have any question about this recipe or feedback please leave a comment. And don’t forget to tag a photo #yummydiariesbypooja on Instagram – if you prepare this warm delight.
Until next recipe, Happy cooking.