You would agree with me that Lunch or Dinner, Soup is a great liquid meal. And if it is nutritious, filling and packed with flavors – you wouldn’t ask for more. Right ?
That’s exactly what I have in store for you today – “The Insanely Delicious Broccoli Soup.” This warm bowl of comfort is the ultimate hunger-killing meal.
So just stay with me because,
In this post I am going to give you the recipe (step by step) and the pro tips in preparing this hearty broccoli soup.
Goodness Of Broccoli, Cashew Nutes & Celery In A Soup
Broccoli – For me its a longstanding puzzle !
I mean we all know that Broccoli has tons of health benefits but still there is so much resistance in eating this green delight (including me). My hubby is big fan of boiled broccoli because of its protein content but not me. The taste just doesn’t do wonders to my tastebuds.
That’s when I decided to find recipes that could trick me into eating this wonderful and healthy delight.
The First Broccoli Recipe that came to my mind was an Easy Broccoli Soup.
You’ll struggle to find an easier and yummier way to eat this healthy green once you are done reading this recipe ! I got this recipe from my sis Priyanka, who I think is the “Soup Queen“. The first time I tried this soup of hers, I was completely smitten.
And she was kind enough to share this recipe with me and now I am doing it with you all.
This soup derives its body and rich flavor from pureed broccoli stems, florets and some yum lightly sautéed mix.
Hmmm. So what is this lightly sautéed mix ?
Its our cream base but not an ordinary one.
There are so many ways with which you can get the creamy base for this broccoli soup. There are recipes that calls for using either:
- Coconut Milk /Cream Or other Dairy Products
But not me.
I have used my favorite ingredients cashew nuts and celery to get that creamy base. The subtle flavor of celery with the nuttiness of cashew just elevates the broccoli soup taste. Moreover cashew lends body, creaminess and richness to the soup.
I must admit that celery and cashew nuts were always a rare treat for me. It dint make it to my shopping cart quite that often. But when Priyanka introduced me to this wonderful creamy base as an alternative for cream or any dairy product, I was blown away.
It has just become my goto non dairy cream base from there on.
Few Pro Tips before I share the recipe with you !
Pro Tips For Preparing The Perfect Broccoli Soup
- I always saute cashew nuts before boiling them with Broccoli. Sautéing Cashew Nuts just brings out that nutty flavor in the soup.
- Also ensure that you look after the grinding process very closely. Due to the presence of cashew nuts there is a quite possibility that it might give a little grainy texture to the soup. It won’t be unpleasant but just noticeable. Hence ensure that the grains are eliminated during the grinding process.
- Note: I have used Cream for garnishing purpose but that is optional , you can always eliminate it completely.
So are you ready to :
Boil the Goodness
and then grind it
Great ! Lets give you this awesome recipe so that you can enjoy this bowl of goodness
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 6-7 Garlic Pods - Chopped
- 1 Medium Sized Onion -Chopped
- 10-12 Cashew Nuts
- ¼ Cup Celery - Chopped
- 1 Large Cup Broccoli - Roughly Chopped
- 1 Tbsp Ground Black Pepper
- Salt to taste
- 3 cup Vegetable Stock or Water
- 1 Tsp Chilli Flakes for Garnishing
- 1 Tbsp Cream for Garnishing (optional)
- Few Almonds Crushed
- Take a heavy bottomed pan and heat olive oil in it. Add chopped garlic and saute it till raw aroma of garlic goes away.
- Now add chopped onion, celery, cashew nuts and saute it for 2-3 minutes on medium flame.This will bring out the distinct flavor of celery and cashew.
- Add broccoli to the pan. Season it with salt and pepper,stir it for a minute.
- Add water or vegetable stock in the pan. Boil it for 6-7 minutes or till broccoli becomes soft. Ensure you keep checking in between. (To check if they are cooked properly,take a small part of broccoli and mash it with your finger ,if it is mashed easily then its cooked.)
- Now switch off the flame. Separate the boiled mixture(including broccoli) from water through a colander. Do not throw away the water. Keep it aside. We will use some of it during the grinding and cooking process.
- Let the mixture cool down for a minute however make sure that it does not cool down completely as we get better texture and smoothness if we grind it while its bit hot/warm.
- Now add mixture to a blender and blend it till you get a smooth and creamy texture. If you want - you can add some water which we had kept aside. Note - Take care of the jar lid as mixture will be bit hot so keep a cloth on the top of the lid and press it tightly so it does`t open.
- Now switch on the flame and heat a heavy bottomed pan again. Add the broccoli paste and water(which we kept aside). Amount of water will depend on the thickness you desire.
- If required add some black pepper, and salt to the pan. Cook it for 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish it with Chilli flakes, almonds and cream (optional) and serve hot.
WOW ! Isn’t that yum ?
This wonderful broccoli soup recipe has made it to our favorite soup list.
I think its a pretty good start to my soup collection for my blog. I hope you would have enjoyed this recipe. If you do try this soup , let us know by tagging the picture with #yummydiariesbypooja on Instagram!
If you have feedback or suggestion do leave a comment. And don’t forget to subscribe to our blog.
Until next recipes, happy cooking.