Do you want the silkiest, spiciest, tangiest and most fragrant kala chana recipe ?
Well your search ends here !
This kala or black chana speciality, popularly known as Himachali Khatta is from the traditional kitchen of devbhoomi (land of gods). This is so yum that it will leave you drooling.The Tangy Kala Chana popularly known as Himachali Khatta is from the traditional kitchen of devbhoomi (land of gods).Click To Tweet
Thank you Himachal – For Giving Me The Best Kala Chana Recipe
This tangy Kala Chana Recipe didn’t happen by chance. All thanks to my dad who is pretty emotional when it comes to caring about his friends and family back in his hometown Samehl – a tiny but beautiful village in Himachal.
He will always find reasons for get togethers where he can rejoice, laugh and feast with them. But this time he wanted to lit up a big smile on faces of his dear ones.
Reason –My post marriage celebration.
He wanted to introduce Kunal and my in-laws not only to serene landscape & scenic beauty of Himachal but also to the exquisite Pahari cuisines like Cha Mutton & Tangy Kala Chana Recipe (Himachali Khatta).
So, 7 months after our marriage, we decided to head towards my hometown Samehl to celebrate our union with our loved ones.
To treat his dear ones, Dad had already made arrangements & organized the yummy Dham function. Actually, In Himachal no celebration is complete without Dham.
Dham is a get together of people where there are served traditional himachali food (on plates made of leaves) as a mid day feast. (as shown below)
As I suddenly stepped into the open area where Dham was organized, I could smell the delicious spread of food, such as
- Aromatic rice,
- Special Tangy Kala Chana called Himachali Khatta.
- Spicy Moong dal .
- Madra of chickpea cooked in yogurt,
- Meetha – sweetened rice mixed with a generous helping of raisins and other dry fruits
This spread of yummy food was making me very hungry. For Kunal, it was an experience of a lifetime. Everyone was dancing around us. It was an awesome sight.
Everything was delicious but for Kunal it was Tangy Kala Chana curry that turned him into a real bhukkad (foodie). He would have had at-least 4 servings of this delicious curry.
I remember ,he turned to me and said ” You gotto note down this Kala Chana Recipe”.
Also there are tons of kala chana benefits – Being low in fat, rich in minerals, vitamin and high in dietary fibre it makes for a great addition to my home menu.
So without wasting any more time, I straight away went to the cook and asked for the kala chana recipe.
Pro Tips before preparing This Kala Chana Recipe
- Due to a slightly tough skin, black Chana needs to cook longer than its white counterpart (white chickpea). In Dham, the cooks usually make use of huge brass utensils called Baltoi. This helps them speed up the cooking process for this kala chana recipe. This Video explains how.
However at home – soak kala chana overnight (8 to 9 hours) and then pressure cook them to soften them. Post that you can easily use them for your delicious Kala Chala Recipe (Himachala Khatta)
- This Himachali Kala Chana Recipe has a smooth silky like consistency. To achieve that consistency you can either add rice flour or gram flour. What ratio need to be maintained is mentioned in the recipe.
Ok enough of chit chatting. Let me give you this super yummy & authentic recipe.
- 1 Cup Black Chana ,soaked overnight
- 3 Cup Water
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 Tbsp Coriander seeds
- ½ Tbsp Fenugreek seeds
- 1 Large onion,chopped
- 5-6 garlic cloves ,crushed
- 2 Dry Red Chill,pounded or 1 Tbsp Red chilli powder
- ½ Tbsp Turmeric powder
- 1 Tbsp Cumin powder
- 3-4 Tbsp Dry Mango Powder
- 1 Tbsp Rice flour
- 11/2 Tbsp Jaggery
- Salt to taste
- Handful of Chopped Coriander
- Wash the Dry Black Chana under running cold water till water runs clear
- Add 3 cups of water to 1 cup of dry chana in a bowl and soak it for 8-9 hours overnight. Once the soaking process is done, in the morning you would notice black chana would have grown bit big in size. That is because of water absorption.
- Take out the soaked Black chana and discard the soaking water via a strainer. Great.
- Take the soaked Black Chana in a pressure cooker.
- Add salt and 2 Cups of water to it.
- Cover the lid, turn the heat on high flame and pressure cook it until your hear three whistles.
- Now reduce the flame and pressure cook it for another 4-5 minutes till you get the fourth whistle. Once its done. keep it aside to cool.
- Once its cooled down, Open the lid. You would notice that our chana would have cooked all the way through. It would have become soft. A Good test would be to take a chana and try press it between your thumb and finger. It would get mash easily.
- At this point, separate black chana and the water. Do not throw away the water - Keep it aside,We`ll use that later.
- Heat oil in a non stick wok.
- Add Coriander seeds and Fenugreek seeds. Saute it for few seconds.
- Add Chopped onion and Garlic. Saute it till onion turn to golden brown in color.
- Now Add pounded Dry Red chilli (you can use red chilli Powder too) & turmeric powder.
- Add salt to taste and Saute it for a minute.
- Now add black chana to onion mixture and saute it on medium heat for one minute.
- Add Cumin powder, dry mango powder and mix well.
- Now take half of the pressure cooker water that we had reserved and add rice flour to it. Rice flour helps gravy to thicken a bit and help you achieve that perfect silky consistency.
- Add rice flour and water mixture to black chana mixture in the wok. Mix it well.
- After a minute, add rest of the water and jaggery .
- Cook it for 12-15 minutes on Low flame.
- Sprinkle with some chopped green coriander and our tangy kala chana recipe is ready
If you see the gravy going too thick, add some water to it to achieve the desired texture.
Feel free to play with quantity of Dry Mango Powder and Jaggery to arrive at the perfect tanginess.
I hope this tangy kala chana recipe can make it your favorite lunch or dinner menu card. This is certainly a favorite at my place and now at my in laws place.
If you have any question or feedback about this recipe, do leave a comment.
For more recipes like this wonderful black chana, do subscribe to our blog.
Until my next post, happy cooking!