An indian starter – so delicious, crunchy and easy to prepare that you might even say good bye to the old indian starter “Masala Papad”. This Masala Khichiya Papad recipe has certainly made it to our Top 10 goto snacks for weekend parties.
And Here I am with a recipe from my sasural(in laws place) to help you make a wonderful addition to your quick. easy and instant snack recipe list.
Masala Khichiya Papad – a perfect buddy after 8 PM on weekends
You must have guessed by now what happens after 8 PM on weekends –Yes, it’s the official party night.
I usually fix myself with some mocktails and my hubby go all gaga over his love for chilled beer. And to accompany our favorite drinks, I always bring out the 2-minute Masala Khichiya Papad recipe.
Masala Khichiya Papad is an utterly scrumptious snack with crunchy to the core layer topped with chopped tomatoes, onions, green chilli, coriander and chat masala.
I can bet you :
That this starter will become your favorite starter the moment you dig into it. It certainly rules over the famous indian bar snack “Masala papad” and is on our favorite indian starter list. Infect I have seen people from Rajasthan eat it as a side with all of their meals. Plus its so damn easy to prepare. I got this recipe from my mum-in-law who has fed Kunal these wonderful Khichiyas from childhood. All you have to do is :
- Prepare Khichiya Papad and store it in a container. It can be stored for a long long time. So you don’t have to worry on expiry date . (Recipe on how to prepare it from scratch is mentioned below).
- Sprinkle some magic ingredient over it and eat it (it will take less than 2 minutes to prepare)
Tips For Preparing The Perfect Masala Khichiya Papad
Before I give you the recipe, here are some important points to keep in mind for making the perfect Masala Khichiya Papad
- If you want to elevate the dish on spice level, you could also think of adding pepper chutney or hot & spicy mint coriander chutney and crunchy sev over the ingredients mentioned in the recipe. This is how you get the famous Mumbai style Khichiya.
- Keep all your ingredients ready but prepare masala khichiya papad just before serving. This will ensure that it does not get soggy with the juices of the vegetables and chutney.
- You could also deep fry the khichiya papad. This will just hold the shape a bit longer with the juices of the vegetables and chutney on it. However, doing this, it will lose big on its authentic rustic flavor. Hence, I avoid doing this.
- While preparing Khichiya Papad – one important ingredient to add is Papad Khar which ensures crispiness and longer shelf life.
Lets get to the recipe now.
- 4 Cups Corn flour (Makki Ka Aata) about 500 grams
- 1 Tbsp Papad Khar
- 1 Tbsp Cumin seeds
- 1 Tbsp Green chilli paste
- 1 Tbsp Carom seeds (Ajwain)
- 1 Tbsp Red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- ¾ Tbsp of Mustard oil
- Chilled water as required
- 1 Finely chopped Onion
- 1 Finely chopped Tomato
- 2 Finely chopped Green Chillies
- 2 Finely chopped sprigs of Coriander leaves (Dhania)
- Salt, Chat Masala, Red chilli powder, Chutney are optional. But do add these to spice up things.
- Sieve the corn flour and keep it side.
- Take a saucepan and boil water in it. Amount of water should be double as compared to corn floor.
- The moment water comes to a boil, add Red chilli powder, Green chilli paste, Cumin seeds, Carom Seeds (ajwain), papad khar, salt and mix well.
- Add mustard oil in the water mixture and mix it properly.
- Add corn flour to the hot water mixture bit by bit and mix well.Ensure you stir it continuously to avoid lumps in the mixture.
- After continuously mixing, you will notice the mixture go all gooyi.
- To remove the gooyiness, steam the dough by spreading the dough in a thali/tray and then placing the thali/tray on a stand in a large vessel filled with hot water.
- Keep the dough aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes while the dough is still warm , you will have to knead it again to form a smooth dough. If you think its hot to handle, you can place the dough in a food grade plastic bag and then knead it.
- Once done, coat the dough with some oil and let it sit in a air tight container for 15-20 minutes. This will ensure the dough doesn't get tight or goes dry.
- Take out the cooled dough and cut out small balls in round shapes.
- Roll out thin or thick (depending on how you like it) rotis on the rolling board with the help of rolling pin.
- Once done, dry all the rolled khichiya papad in sunlight for 3-5 hours depending on the sunlight.
- Once completely dry , store them in a airtight container.
- Directly roast the khichiya papad on the flame.
- Add the goodness of onion, green chillies and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Spread the vegetable mixture on the Khichiya and garnish it with chopped green coriander.
Based on your liking. you can alter the thickness of Khichiya Papad during the rolling step. I like it thick as shown in images. But many people like it super thin.
I hope this masala khichiya papad can bring some crunch to your weekend get together. If you think there is some other ingredient that could elevate this dish to another level, do leave a comment.
For more recipes like this do subscribe to our blog.
Until my next post, happy cooking!